Media Temple blocked IP address?
Has Media Temple blocked your IP address or banned your IP address from access your websites? Are you a Media Temple user with access to the control panel? Have you lost access to your Media Temple sites through your web browser (http)? Your IP address may have been automatically blocked or banned by Media Temple because of too many unsuccessful login attempts. This is to protect you against brute force logins against your account.
Where you may have unsuccessful logins
Here are some of the ways you may experience unsuccessful login attempts;
- Control Panel (Account Center) – you are trying to login to your Media Temple account via the CP.
- FTP – trying to access your files via File Transfer Protocol.
- SSH – trying to access your site files over Secure SHell via a terminal session.
- Email Program – having the incorrect password associated to your Media Temple hosted email account while running your email program (Apple Mail, Outlook).
Check to see if your IP Address is banned
If you find that you can not access your Media Temple hosted websites;
- Login to your Account Center
- Look for the message stating your IP has been blocked for unsuccessful login attempts. It’s hard to miss
- Click the “UNLOCK” button
- Wait for a few minutes and try to access your site again.
If you are successful, keep working.
Ugh, I keep getting banned
If it happens again, check to see if you are logging in somewhere (likely an email account or a recently changed password for FTP, etc). Try shutting down suspect applications (email, FTP, etc). Once you identify which application is continuing to try to login incorrectly, change the password to the correct one and you should be good.
Read the Media Temple knowledge article for more information